Tuesday, August 26, 2014

FIrst Day of Classical Conversations

Wow!

I knew I was going to to be awesome, I just didn't realize how awesome.

We really enjoyed our first day and now we are even more excited for what this year holds.

Dane was super excited about "school" today. He got up and picked out a special outfit first thing. He got his backpack and was dressed and ready to go when I got out of the shower.

Once we got there, we waited in the main room for everyone to get there. The kids were all excited to be back and the moms were enjoying catching up.

There were some announcements and pledges to the flag and Bible and then a family stood up to give a presentation. Each week, a different family will introduce themselves and present something-- whether vacation memories, family hobbies, unique interests, etc. It allows us to put faces with names and get to know one another better.

After that, we were dismissed to classes.

Webb and I get to stay with Dane. There is technically a 4 year old class I could have paid for, but I didn't really think he was ready. I am able to keep him with me as I sit in Dane's class. He thinks he is hot stuff and he is learning right along with big kids. The mom's have to stay and pick one of their child's classes to sit in on. I LOVE that because then I learn with Dane and also see how he is behaving.

Today, the class gave their own mini-presentations, which will be weekly (kind of like show and tell). No child gets to say they don't want to and I love that too! Dane's teacher is amazing and great with the kids, stern, yet fun. It is required they get up each week and follow the presentation guidelines which are things like: speak loudly and clearly, don't talk forever, look at people when you speak, not the ground, have good posture, etc. It creates a familiarity and confidence with public speaking and I am thankful for that. Dane did not want to do it, so I was really glad he didn't have a choice. I know this will be so good for him.

These are the following facts they practiced/learned.

All are learned with a song and hand motions and repeated numerously with fun activities thrown in too.

History
Acts and Facts Timeline:
Age of Ancient Empires, Creation and the Fall, The Flood and the Tower  of Babel, Mesopotamia and Sumer, Egyptians, Indus River Valley Civilization, and Minoans and Mycenaeans. 

History Sentence:
Tell me about Columbus.
In 1492, Columbus made the first of four trips to the Caribbean on three Spanish ships named the Nina, the Pinta, and the Santa Maria.

Geography
States and Capitals:
Augusta, ME
Concord, NH
Boston, MA
Providence, RI
Hartford, CT

English
An INFINITIVE is "to" plus a verb, used as a noun, adjective, or adverb.

Latin
Prepositions
in            in
apud       with
per         through  
sine        without

Math
They counted by 1s and 2s

Science
What are four types of tissue?
Connective, Epithelial, Muscle, and Nerve

They also learned the scientific method and did an experiment using that method.

He had art where he learned about drawing basic shapes.

They have snack time each week too.

Overall, our day was great!

I treated the boys to Chick-fil-a. We went and got a few last minute school supplies and copied a big map for us so Dane can trace the United States daily and just slowly become familiar with it.

I usually TRY to get up by 5:30am so I can get my time with the Lord in and have some alone time each day (I aim for an hour of alone time).

Yesterday, I got up around 5:50am and Dane was up at 6:10am and today I got up at 5:45am and spent a little time with the Lord and then had to start on breakfast for Brent. While I was cooking, Webb got up! LOL. They are supposed to sleep late! That is the beauty of being schooled at home. Not my boys.

So this afternoon, after a new school day, lots of errands run, and a fun evening planned, I'm just letting the boys relax in front of the TV. Actually, Webb is asleep! I guess I should go wake him up. Then, I plan to get the house all in order so tomorrow (my birthday!!!) I can relax... to some extent.

No comments:

Post a Comment