Monday, May 13, 2013

Mother's Day

Yesterday was Mother's Day and I celebrated up North with my parents.

Brent had to work, so we celebrated with his mom the day before that on Saturday. 

It was definitely a jammed packed weekend.

I was in Ringgold on Friday meeting with the midwife I'm going to be working with and cleaning a house. As I was finishing up that house, a mom I had due next week called to tell me she was going to the hospital to be induced.

I went straight there and got back home to Cartersville around 2am. My MIL had the boys so Brent and I slept late and ran errands to get everything we needed to cook for his parents. 

After lunch here, we went to my nieces 2nd birthday party and squeezed in a date night after that.

On Sunday, the boys and I went to the early service so we could get to my mom's by lunch. They now own a concession stand they work on Friday and Sunday nights, so we worked with them last night and I didn't get into bed until 11:30pm last night. 

This morning I told Brent I felt like my house was a disaster zone and I hadn't been here in forever! I don't know how you working momma's do it! Whew! It was totally worth it though for such a fun-filled weekend!!!

As Mother's Day approached, I gave some thought to the characteristics I have had to develop in myself and/or work on growing since finding out I was going to be a mom  -  now.


Unconditional love (I never was overwhelmed so deeply, so quickly)
Patience
Compassion
Gentleness
Self-Control
Selflessness
Understanding
Will-power
Decision making
Honesty
Work ethic
Trust
Courage
Humility
Gratefulness

These are things I must work on every single day.

Motherhood isn't an on again off again job or even a job where you can pick and choose what to do or when to work or when to not or what not to do.

It is 100% every day. Whether anything is given back to you or not. Whether acknowledgement is given or not. Whether you get to sit down at the table and eat a meal or not. Whether you pee holding a child and eat holding a child and shower holding a child or not. Whether you get help or not. Whether daddy is home or not. Whether you are sick or not. Whether it's nice outside or not. Whether you slept the night before or not.

It is never-ending.

It is exhausting and requires strength and dignity maybe you didn't even realize you had and possibly still amazes you.

There are some days that just plain SUCK! 

There are days you want to lay on the floor with your children and kick your feet, wail and scream, and let the snot and tears fly.

There are days when you don't feel fit to the task.

There are days you fail.

There are days you are mean.

There are days you are not intentional enough and the TV helps you through.


But the good days outweigh the bad days by a million.

There are days where the pitter patter of feet wake you up and a kiss is the first thing you receive.

There are days where little arms wrap around your neck as tightly as they can go and stinky breath whispers, "I love you to Heaven and back 17-64 times, mommy."

There are days where belly laughter fills your home.

There are days where snuggling can't last long enough for anyone.

There are days where you hear, "I'm sorry, mommy." "I love you, mommy." "I'm your boy, mommy."

There are days where lessons you teach are exercised.

There are days where you lay on the grass with the sun hitting you and your children playing all around you and you think to yourself, "All my dreams came true!"

There are days where you literally watch your baby grow up before your eyes.

There are days where you celebrate accomplishments. 

There are days where you eat ice-cream for lunch and then play at the park for hours after that and no one cries or whines that entire time.

There are days when you are laying with your babies at night, they are both snuggled up close to you, and sound asleep that you think, "I don't want to get up. I don't want this moment to pass. I wish I could stay right here forever."



You see, all the bad is worth on only one of those good in return.

Being a mom is the most full-filling and rewarding job that is out there. It does require growth, change, and adapting though.

New moms always want to know what one thing they will need the most of once a new baby is in their family.

My personal opinion is:

COURAGE

You need courage to love, courage to fail, courage to try again, courage to be yourself, courage to research and make your own decisions, courage to be the boss (parent) and not a friend, courage to give up selfish desires, courage to do what you know is right deep inside of you, courage to change your lifestyle if it is not appropriate for raising an innocent life, courage to discipline, courage to say I'm sorry, courage to tell your child "no" occasionally, courage to raise your child differently than the world does it, courage to trust your baby with someone else, courage to trust your instincts with your baby, courage to breathe in and out and not loose it, courage to be gentle and tender, courage to live a life you are comfortable with them growing up and  living themselves, courage to give, courage to change your path, courage to watch them grow up right before your eyes, courage to trust that they are the Lord's and only your's for a very brief time, courage to not cry (happy tears) when they accomplish something big, courage not to cry when they fail, courage to trust them, courage to love yourself despite where you screw up.

You need courage. 

It's hard to be a mom.

But, it is so worth it all!


Happy Mother's Day to all you beautiful and courageous moms out there who bravely and fiercely raise your children up!


Me and Dane 


Me and Dane

Me and Webb

Me and Webb

I can't believe how much they've grown!!


Love them both so much it hurts!






No comments:

Post a Comment