Monday, May 20, 2013

And So It Begins

We've anticipated this day for almost a year now.

The day my husband would return to school and enter the paramedic program.

It's a blessing in disguise really.

It was super easy to get into and he has a short year before the rewards--- financial rewards- the intense year is definitely worth the pay increase, self-esteem rewards- my husband sets his mind to something and then he achieves it. I love seeing how he thrives off his accomplishments. It's great when he proves to himself and everyone else that he can do it. Position rewards- he will be the boss on scene. No more standing in the background taking orders, he will be giving them. Opportunity rewards- he plans to get his associates in Paramedicine after this and possibly his bachelors (in something else, I can't remember) and he has many possibilities of climbing up positions in his work. I don't expect him to stop aiming for more until he has reached the top of it all. Bartow County, give it 20 years or so and see ;-)

To say it will be a super stressful year is an understatement.

He will still work every 3rd day. During the week when he isn't at work, he will be at school. So, for instance. He worked Saturday (he ran calls all night with no sleep at all). He was off Sunday and today. He wasn't able to sleep yesterday bc the power was off and neither one of us can sleep without a fan on. Then, when we came home, the boys were loud, and it was yucky outside. I felt so sorry for him when we got up at 6:30am today. He was so exhausted. He went to school today from 8:30am-4:30pm. He works tomorrow 7am-7am. He is supposed to be at school Wednesday and Thursday from 8:30am-4:30pm (except his professor is giving them this Wednesday off). Then, he works Friday 7am-7am. Has Saturday and Sunday off and goes back to work on Monday.

We will be experiencing a new busy. In October (I think) he will begin clinicals on top of school and work so he will be busy 7 days a week.

It will be difficult for all of us. When he is home, he is going to be exhausted or needing to study. Forget obligations around the house or him staying home with the kids so I can go to the dentist, run errands alone, or get a haircut. The boys really have a hard time when they don't see much of daddy. They crave time with him. It will take some adjusting to, but it is only for a year :-) We must keep remembering that.

We would all appreciate prayers during this time. I was "single-momma"ing it while he worked part-time at the end of last year and averaging 100hrs + a week, but I only did that for a few months (and the money made that almost worth it. LOL!!!). I know I can do it and this will be a test of all of our endurance. I am praying the Lord will help us through it and show me how to help my husband the best way and ease his load.

I'm so proud of my husband! He excelled through EMT school and I expect nothing but that for Paramedic school. He is such a hard worker! I'm excited for this year to be over with it ;-) and it just started today!


No comments:

Post a Comment