Saturday, January 21, 2012

Seasonings

It's a late night for me :D I am wide awake after a very fun evening. We had 2 couples over and their boys.... and Gibson. LOL. They got here around 5pm and us girls talked while the kids played and the men hung out in the basement and shot guns. Then we enjoyed dinner and dessert. The ladies helped me get everything cleaned up/did all the cleaning up while I held a nursing Webb (he had just passed out and I wasn't much use). Thanks again Ashley and Nicole! Then we moved to the living room and sat and talked for a couple hours. I know you guys hear me say this ALLLLLLL the time, but seriously, we have the GREATEST group of friends. This is the 4th weekend in a row we have had couples (usually 2 couples at a time..... and Gibson. LOL) over for dinner and we still have so many friends we need to invite over. What a blessing! I am continually amazed at the close friendships I have within our church (and outside too, but I am really amazed at how many I have in the church!). Tonight was a fun, relaxed, and entertaining evening.

We got to talking about food tonight and recipes. I make quite a few seasonings from scratch. For one, it is cheaper and for two, it is healthier. A friend told me she was interested in the recipes and asked me to post them on my blog.

So, without further adieu here are 3 seasonings I keep on hand always.


Homemade Taco Seasoning Mix
1/2 cup chili powder
1/4 cup onion powder
1/8 cup ground cumin
1 Tablespoon garlic powder
1 Tablespoon paprika
1 Tablespoon sea salt.

Put all ingredients into a jar and shake!!! 3 Tablespoons of this is equal to one 4-ounce package of taco seasonings mix. I recommend adding 3 Tbsp of mix to 1 pound of browned turkey meat (or deer or beef) for tacos. Remember to shake the jar before each use.


Homemade Ranch Dressing Mix
5 Tablespoons dried minced onions
7 teaspoons parsley flakes
4 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder

Mix together and store in an air tight container.

FOR DRESSING: Mix 2 Tablespoons of dry mix with equal parts mayonnaise and buttermilk (or sour cream. I use buttermilk).

FOR DIP: Mix 2 Tablespoons dry mix with 2 cups sour cream.


Onion Soup Mix
2/3 cup dried, minced onion
3 teaspoons parsley flakes
2 teaspoons onion powder
2 teaspoons tumeric
1 teaspoon celery salt
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground pepper

Mix all ingredients in a jar, then give the jar a good shake. I recommend shaking the jar each time before using it.

Use 4 Tablespoons Onion Soup Mix in a recipe in place of 1 packet of onion soup mix.


By the way, if you have anything you would like me to post about, always feel free to comment below or send me a private message. I am open to any and all suggestions.

Have a great night!

No comments:

Post a Comment