Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Growing and Changing

My boys are growing and changing a a pace that is frightening!

I look at Dane so often and wonder how he became this 4 year old (almost 5 year old) boy. Where did the time go? How did the years fly by so quickly?

Then, I see Webb. Isn't he supposed to be the baby? Why is he such a big boy? How can he mimic Dane and sound so grown up?

Bittersweet. 

I try to focus on all the sweet and not the bitter. For the most part, I'm good at getting my head and my mind away from the sad and focusing on all the wonderful good. With 2 boys and an amazing husband, I have a tremendous amount of good.

Them growing and changing could be bitter, but I like to look at it as sweet.

How many parents wish there children were on their level? How many would love to see them accomplish the things other children their age can do? How many want to see them grow and change, learn and succeed scholastically, leave and cleave? How many parents know that will never, ever happen? 

So many!

So, for that reason, my boys growing and changing is a blessing :-)


I have really slacked at the boys' baby's books these days. I use FB and my blog as a place to record all those little things. 

I want to do a better job of recording where they are in life because it is so easy to forget.



Dane- 4 years old (turns 5 in 3 months)



Dane is my thoughtful child. His Gammie had surgery and while he watched the bandage get changed, he just loved on her and patted her hair and face. He is caring and kind and giving. His Nana gave him money this weekend ($3) and when he saw me, he told me I could have it and go shopping. He is also respectful. Please and Thank You. Yes Mam and No Mam. No thank you and Yes please. Excuse me. Helping out around the house (I've been teaching him what it means to be a "gentleman") and holding the door for other people.

He loves camo. Anyone who knows him knows this. It is all he asked for for Christmas. Camo and hunting stuff. On Sunday mornings, he wants to wear his camo gear, so we meet in the middle-- camo pants and boots, but a nice, Sunday shirt. I was talking about going shopping for his Easter outfit and he said, "I don't need to. I already know what I am wearing. My camo pants and boots and my grey and yellow shirt." 

Here is a Sunday morning example :-)

Speaking of church, he LOVES church, Bible study, and AWANA. I am so thankful we are in a church that offers so much for him to be involved in and for me. When I go, he goes and he loves to go! He has wonderful teachers and he gets very excited to see them each week. The things he is learning absolutely amaze me. I am so thankful for the instruction and love he receives there. I am praying and hopeful that we will see him accept Jesus as his personal Savior in the next few years as he begins to grasp and understand Jesus and exactly what He did for us all.

I believe his love language is physical touch. He loves to cuddle and hug and kiss us. Since he was little, he would flip his biscuits if we didn't hug and kiss him before leaving (or anyone for that matter). "I NEEEED A KISS AND A HUG!!!!!!! (***SOB SOB SOB***) His newest thing is to get about 20+ kisses and hugs as we are leaving. Even chasing us down the driveway for one last kiss and hug ;-) At they gym, he kisses me 10 times as I get his breakfast out and chases me down as I'm leaving for more.

My dad teaches Dane all these hilarious sayings. One of the things Dane says (that my dad swears he didn't teach him) is, "For Bear, Stink Bear)". None of us have any idea what it means. He says it when we are leaving. It falls in line after, "See ya later alligator. Watch out for crocodiles. For Bear Stink Bear (the accent that goes with it makes it even better)." It always makes me and Brent laugh and sometimes, we even say it to each other ;-) Brent leaving at 6:30am, I kiss him and say, "For Bear, Stink Bear."



He loves Tom and Jerry and the Brady Bunch.

He loves to read and is getting more and more into chapter books. His favorite has been The Magic Tree House Series and Little House in the Big Woods. 

Dane recently told me, "Mom, when I grow up, I want to be in the army so I can shoot guns all day." He LOVES guns. What little boy doesn't? I would never try to take his love of guns away. I think that is part of what little boys are made up of and I am thankful he exhibits the characteristics of a BOY!



Dane loves to learn and do school. He also loves to color and draw. I am so proud of how talented he is in the art department. Just this week, for the first time, we practiced cutting around edges and he did perfect. I was proud. In school, he catches on immediately. I am taking it slow because he is so young and I really and truly do not want him doing "school" for more than about an hour (if that) each day. I like for him to play and be a kid for now. More often than not though, he is begging to do school.

Learning in depth about Joseph and loving every bit of it.

Cutting and very intent on it.


He aims to please. He loves to make us happy. We try really hard to praise his good efforts (behavior, obedience, kindness to his brother) for this reason. 

His favorite snacks (and he NEVER stops eating) are: yogurt, carrots, cheese stick, apple, almonds, applesauce, banana, pretzels dipped in mustard, and peanut butter on a spoon.



Webb- 2-1/2



Webb is my mischievous child. He is ALWAYS getting into something and just laughs and laughs when you get on to him. We have a hard time doing so because he is so stinking cute!

Liquid glue poured all in the floor.



He loves his big brother to pieces and will do anything Dane tells him to do.

Can't help but look at Dane.

See the adoration in his eyes?!


Not only does he love Dane, he loves babies. He wants me to have a baby! He plays with baby dolls and is sweet, tender, and loving to them.

Baby doll.

So happy to be holding a real baby!


Webb cracks us up by always blaming someone. He will be walking and trip and fall and turns around and says, "HEY! Momma, DON'T DO THAT!! YOU MADE ME FALL." I always tell him I didn't do it and he is certain it wasn't him. He gets onto Brent, Dane, Rosie, you name it. If he falls or gets hurt, someone is getting in trouble.

However, Webb is super sweet to apologize or help, or say thank you or I'm sorry. In the middle of the night (he gets up and gets in our bed every single night) he sometimes is whining and flailing. I never wake up unless he smacks me right across the face. I will wake up saying, "OUCH!" He instantly stops whining and flailing and says, "Sorry mom, sorry, mom" and kisses my face. Today, we were walking outside, I was holding him and I said I was cold. He put his hands over my ears and said, "Me keep your ears warm, mom." He is sensitive and loving!

He LOVES choo choos and just recently started liking Thomas. We stopped in Downtown Cartersville Saturday after the gym to look for choo choos. We were there 5 minutes before one came. He was so excited his entire face lit up!



His favorite word these days is: Why?

He is Mr. Independent. He can do it, he doesn't need your help, and don't you dare try to help him!

He searches for the star of life, ambulances, or EMT's all day long.




Our gym's sign looks like this


and he is always freaking out that it is a star of life!

He loves animals. To death. Literally. Poor Rosie. One day, he was screaming for her and he said, "Rosie!! Come here, sweet girl!"

His favorite snacks (and he never ever stops eating either) are: goldfish, bananas, pasta, pecans, yogurt, honey on a spoon, anything his daddy is eating, apples, pretzels dipped in ketchup (gross! We use mustard, but he says that is hot), bacon, and my cold, last sip of my coffee.


Both of my boys idolize their daddy. They adore him and think he is the coolest cat around.


If you read my Valentine's post, you know why that is so special to me. Pictures like this..... make me cry.


I love my big, growing boys so very much . I am super duper blessed to be able to stay home with them and homeschool them. Some days are unbelievably hard and longer than they should be, but I know we are in God's will for our family and we all just keep pressing forward. 


They teach me unconditional love, patience, and how to not be so time and chore oriented. They teach me to embrace life, love, and laughter to the fullest. I love them more than life itself. I am proud and honored to be their mommy!


No comments:

Post a Comment