Thursday, March 28, 2013

Homeschooling

For those of you that are my Facebook friend, you already know we have chosen the path to home-school.

Maybe it chose us?

I just knew I didn't want my kids in public school and honestly, there are so many reasons why.

Brent used to not be on board for this at all stating that home-schooled children are weird, socially awkward, and dumb. And, let's be honest... some are. But..... I feel like their parents are also. LOL.

I began praying for clear direction for schooling when Dane was young.

One day, Brent came to me on his own and said I needed to home-school.

Shazam.

There was my answer.

I didn't really want to.

Let's be serious.

Home-school moms get NO break. No quiet. No solitude. No free childcare to get a part-time job and help bring money to the table. You are always parenting. Always refereeing. Always sacrificing.

Then, one day, God gave me utter peace about it. It was like an attitude adjustment.

I was no longer dreading the above "negatives", but looking forward to them and seeing those things as privileges instead of obligations or whatnot.

It is amazing what God can do to show you His will for your family.

I was still feeling overwhelmed because let's face it, I'm no teacher.

Then, God reminded me of the internet.

Immense amounts of information, support groups, variations of home-school, etc.

Dane is still young so I have plenty of time to figure which course we will be taking. I definitely like the laid back style. I believe kids spend waaaaaaay too much time on school and one of the awesome things about home-schooling is my kids won't have to. They will get to be kids!

So, if you are a mom (or a dad) who feels like God may be calling you to home-school and that scares the living daylights out of you for many reasons, don't freak out yet.

Start researching things.

There is no perfect way to home-school.

It will be different for each family.

It will look different for each family.

I think that is what I like about it the most.

No cookie cutter that I must follow.

Here are some websites that I love!

Homeschool Creations

TONS and TONS of useful info and free print offs. Actually, I can get lost on this one.

Easy Peasy

This one is actually a "homeschool curriculum" created by this mom. We are currently following her Getting Ready 1 program. It takes about 10 minutes a day. Some days we do 4 days and other days, we don't do any because we are too busy. It has been WONDERFUL for teaching Dane his sounds. He begs to do school everyday.

There are tons of Facebook groups for home-school moms as well.

So many people get offended by home-school posts that I put on FB. I would like to close this by saying-- I don't think home-school is for everyone. It is a clear calling from the Lord. I do not judge those who do not home-school :-)

Have a thankful Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment