Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Dirty Windows and a Lap Dog

Saturday, my mom and dad were scheduled to come down and help at the house all day. My mom got this terrible sinus infection though (and had to work her new job on Sunday) and I told her just to stay home and rest. To take her place (and give my mom the peace of mind that it would be ok to stay home), my grandparents offered to come in her place along with my dad.

My grandparents are amazing people. You would NEVER be able to guess their age by watching them work. Let's just say, "They still got it".

The windows at Pappy's house (yes, we all still refer to it as Pappy's house. I am sure we always will) were so super nasty. You could barely see out of one window. I know that dirty windows will not keep us from moving in, but they will surely make this clean freak of a gal annoyed. My mom knew how dirty the windows were and she also knew how badly I wanted to clean them (they just are not exactly on the top of my list these days). She had originally told me she would clean windows or keep the boys when she came down. You must understand, these are not "normal" windows. Oh, no. They are storm windows that have not been cleaned since the house was built in 1987 (ok, that is a total guess on my part, perhaps they were cleaned in the 90's). From inside the house, you had to clean the top and bottom part of the window. Then, you had to lift it and take out the bottom of the storm window and clean both sides of it (there was mildew and black mud all over this). Once, the bottom part of the storm window was out, the screen needed to come out (it was so dusty you could barely see through it). Then, from inside, you pulled the top part of the storm window down and cleaned the inside part. You would go outside, clean the outside part of the storm window and the outside part of the actual window (while the storm window was down). You go back inside (unless you have a partner) and pull the top part of the storm window up, go back outside, and clean the outside, bottom part of the window. After that, all parts of the window should be cleaned. You go back inside, replace the screen, and the bottom part of the storm window and TA-DA!!!! You have a clean window!!! Talk about time consuming.

My dad, was of course, Mr. Babysitter. He wouldn't have it any other way and the kids wouldn't dream of him coming and NOT playing with them all day :-) He kept the kids out of our hair and ran some errands for us. It was amazing how much that helped out!

My grandmother asked what she and my grandfather could do and in all honesty, there weren't many options. I was almost done with the baseboards, we had doors to paint and were laying them across saw horses in the living room and we had to wait to get 2 coats on each door on each side before starting a new door)..... really, the only thing I could think of was windows. And no, it was not just because I wanted them done! LOL. They started on the first one and can I just say, they were so clean, I wondered why they had taken the entire window out?!?! Then, I realized! It was just super clean!!!!!!! The entire house is so much brighter. Honestly, I could have cried I loved my clean windows so much. I had complained to Brent (yes, I do complain ;-). LOL) a TON about the windows and he always told me they weren't that bad and could wait. Even he agreed when he saw the finished product, that yes, they absolutely did need to be cleaned.



First set of clean windows. I'm telling you--- A HUGE difference.

There is my grandmother (great-grandmother to 5, almost 6) cleaning windows like it is nothing.

The worst window-- picture does not do it justice.
After!!!!! I love how much brighter my living room is!!!!

Brent was working on doors while they were there. We Brent has run into an issue with out bathroom door. When he went to put on the knob, it wouldn't line up. He checked his measurements and the door he installed is completely level. The "foundation" or what was there when he started, the door frame, is completely NOT level.

See the light come through at the top?
That kept my hubby busy Saturday. It is still not fixed. He will have to rig something up for this door. It is causing him major stress ;-) He is a perfectionist, much like me.

Dad and the boys had a great time. Dad cut out pieces of this box and made them a new Hunting Club since Dane wanted the other one burned!

Yep, that is my dad and Webb inside!

Dad putting together this sleigh thing we got a Lowe's. I personally just loved his little sweater tied on his back. LOL!

On Saturday, Brent and I also plumbed the toilet. Oh yes, ladies, it was a blast! I encourage you all to start helping your hubbies plumb!

This is super duper FUN!!!!!!! I love messing around with toilets!!
My lovely view. I'm just glad this is a brand new toilet.

After church and our Thanksgiving meal with the new church family, we went back to the house to work. We knew we have a busy week of Thanksgiving and Brent is officially working. Even though we felt this way:


We knew the only way to finish this is to work on it.

Brent was able to hang up blinds along the front part of the house while I painted door, doors, and more doors!!! LOL. I love the look the blinds bring.



We got up Monday morning with the plan to work all day, that is until we were meeting my parents in Calhoun to pick up a surprise for the boys. At 7am, Brent got called in to work 24 hours. I really should have been happy, but my controlling/has to plan everything/we can't get off course self was upset. I almost cried. Then, I truly did realize I needed an attitude adjustment. This is GREAT news actually. Even greater news for our bank account right around Christmas. This is what we prayed for, what we trusted for, what others straight out of school are jealous for. I asked God to forgive me and then made sure my husband knew I wasn't mad at him, just disappointed because this gal is ready to live in her own house (not because living with the in-laws is hard, because it really isn't!).

The boys and I went over by ourselves on Monday and I painted DOORS again. This time, I got smart and I just lined them up in the living room and painted them. I was able to finish them all! YIPPEE!!!!

We told the boys we had a surprise for them and I left the house to head to Calhoun. By the way, the boys' guesses on what their surprise was??? Cake! LOL.

My parents had graciously met a girl for me (she was from Soddy Daisy, TN- about 40 minutes north of my parents), pick up the dog, and then meet me in Calhoun with the dog. I had found this dog on Craig's List on Sunday night. It was/is Brent's dream dog. She is a miniature pinscher/ Jack Russell. She was found ababandoned on the side of the road and this 16 yr old rescued her. Her mom told her she had to get rid of one dog (she already had 2) and if a home wasn't found, the dog had to go to the pound. She was everything we wanted and affordable!

I even took the boys with me to buy a leash, collar, food, treats, kennel, bed, etc. I let Dane pick out the collar (pink camo by the way) and still they had no idea. LOL!

The boys were totally shocked!! When they saw Gammi and Granddaddy, they thought that was their surprise.

Then, they saw that dog!






They were beyond exctied!!!

Brent named her Rose and I am ok with that, since it is 4 letters :-)

Kissing Rose
She is very skiddish and scared. I am hoping she warms up to my wild indians quickly.

She LOVES Brent.




And she loves laps :-)

When Brent isn't in the car, she jumps right in my lap for the ride. LOL.
She is a sweetie and we love her already.

Well, I need to get me and the boys ready. I have a full day of cleaning in Ringgold.

Hope you enjoyed the update! Maybe next time, I will be posting a move in date :-)





No comments:

Post a Comment