Monday, November 5, 2012

Refinishing Cabinets and Halloween

A new week is starting! I am sort of excited. Each new week gets us closer and closer to moving day :-)

I am sitting here drinking coffee and watching GMA. The Northeast stories just break my heart. I cannot imagine what those people are facing. Also this precious 2-yr old that was killed at the Zoo. Wow. I cannot imagine what that poor mother is feeling and experiencing!! It really makes me look at all my blessings and realize just how good we have it! There is so much sadness all around :-( Praying for everyone dealing with heartbreak and devastation-- in whatever form it comes in.

We were working at the house last week and I was painting the inside of cabinets. I said, "Urg! I am about over this painting!" and Dane (who I didn't realize was even listening to me) said, "Just do what daddy does. He slams down his fist and says, 'This is bull-crap!' when he gets mad." Bhahahahaha. Can I just say that cracks me up! That child says the funniest and most honest things. I love him so much.

Speaking of cabinets---- I am FINISHED with them. I have to say, I am pretty darn proud of the finished product. When we originally started this renovation process, we talked about getting new cabinets. But, just in case you didn't know this, renovating is EXPENSIVE!!!!! You spend oodles and oodles of money on things like baseboards, electrical outlets (we changed the color from tan to white so allllll the electrical outlets and light switches had to be changed), door knobs, hardware for cabinets, PAINT, and so much more. We quickly realized we didn't exactly have $6,000 +/- to spend on cabinets. We really did not like the outdated look of the cabinets though.

 
Here is the only pic I have of the before.

 A friend of mine had refinished her own cabinets and although I couldn't remember exactly how they looked, I remembered liking them. I had dream cabinets in mind and knew if I went and picked them out, just what I would choose. I found this picture as my inspiration. This is my dream cabinet color. The counters I choose are similar and we will have stainless appliances.



This is the counter (on the right) we chose and our sink color on the left. We went with solid surface (LG High Macs) for our counters--- those are my dream mainly because the sink comes attached to the counter so it is a smooth surface with no gap.


We then found this kit at Lowe's. I could make the original cabinets look just like the above picture for only $150!!!! We snagged that kit and I could not wait to get started. They tint your paint at Lowe's when you buy the kit based on what you want your finished product to look like. There are many options.

First, we had to remove all the doors and hardware and number the doors.


Then, I opted to paint the interior of the cabinets white because I knew if I didn't, I would always wish I had. The first step is to apply this paint like liquid that removes the finish. This keeps you from having to sand everything. Once you applied it, you had to wipe it down really good.

After that, I painted them with the paint that came with the kit. It said it would take 2 coats, but... it took me 3 coats (just like ALL of our walls!).

 
I also added another coat of white paint on the interior after this pic!

Once that dries, you have the option to put glaze on. I definitely wanted the glaze in order to achieve my dream cabinets. You add the glaze, painting the same direction of the wood and then you wipe it off with cloths provided. You wipe until you get your desired look. No 2 cabinets will look the same and I really like that. I wouldn't have to stress to make everything identical.

This is the glaze

This is when I wiped it to get the look I wanted.

I LOVED the outcome. I was a little nervous because I had never done anything like this. Brent was nervous about me doing it also. He did not think he would like it. We just kept saying we would deal with it until we could afford new cabinets. Once they were complete, Brent raved at my work. He was very pleased with how they turned out. We keep talking about how much we love them!!!

I love our bronze hardware (we decided to do bronze throughout the house.)
On the left shows how it looked before the glaze, right is after.


We had this piece of board over the sink that we HATED!!! It could not be removed though. I know on fancy cabinets, there are often designs. I told Brent I wanted to find something like that to add to it. We found it at Lowe's for $20. I am extremely pleased with this also!



If you are considering refinishing your cabinets, I highly encourage you to. It wasn't very difficult, it is extremely affordable, and the outcome is better than I could have imagined!


Did your family have a good Halloween? We sure did! It is so much fun once you have kids. They add a magic to each seasonal celebration :-) Their excitement and wonder over everything is contagious. My MIL had a big party at her house for close friends and family. My parents and sister and her boyfriend even drove down to join us.

Aren't they precious?!?!

Our family! Dane REFUSED to look at the camera.

My hubby went to 2 different interviews Thursday and Friday. They both went fantastic and he feels pretty confident he will get both. I do too! Just more evidence we are where GOD wanted us.

Yes, life is good! We are healthy and happy and in God's will. I just don't think it gets any better than this.

Hope you all have a wonderful week!

1 comment:

  1. Abby! Now you have to come to my cabinets! Yours look so good!

    ReplyDelete