Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Product and Hair

I ended the last blog with a promise to tell you about a new product  I am really liking.

You must understand, I am having regular periods  for the first time ince August 24, 2007. I started back after having Dane when he was around 9 mnts old, but I would go about 50 days between periods. Then,  I got pregnant with Webb (after only have a few periods with Dane) and didn't start back until he was 18 mnts. BUT.... they are regular this time. I had forgotten just how UN-fun and what an inconvenience they are.

I had heard lots about the Diva Cup and had even posted a question on FB asking if anyone had used them and what the opinions were, etc. I got lots of feedback and all of it was good. From that, a doula friend private messaged me to see if I would want to try a Mooncup. The Mooncup is pretty much just like a Diva Cup. She got a discount with something and I could get the Mooncup for about $18 with shipping. Dang! I had just paid that at Costco for a box of tampons. I told her to order me one!

Now, what I liked most about the idea of the Mooncup was the fact that I would be saving money. I am thrifty and I do not like spending money on things like tampons. Call me crazy. And you go through sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many in your lifetime. It is sort of disgusting to think about how much money gets flushed down the toilet, literally.

I had also heard that with the Moon Cup (depending on your flow and I am a light flow kind of gal) that you would not have to change your Moon Cup except for 2-3 times a day. You do not run the risk of developing TSS with this. I loved that! So, on your very light days or towards the end when you can't go without anything, but you feel like you are wasting products, just change in before you go to bed and when you wake up. There is no smell or anything.

Now........ the question I am sure you all have.

Isn't it messy??!?!?!

I will tell you. It takes some getting used to and yes, as you learn to use it, it will be messy. My biggest worry was having to change it in public and having to touch things and whatnot before washing my hands. Well, the beauty is, you change it so rarely that you can plan your outings around that and ensure you are never changing it in public.

Another trick I discovered. I keep baby wipes in the bathroom and in my purse already. BUT... if you don't, I would recommend doing so. You can take a baby wipe, quickly clean it and it truly is not messy. Or, you can pull it out and rinse it each time. I just found I liked the baby wipe method better. You could also buy cloth pads, if you are a heavy flow sort of gal, and wear as a back up and continue to save money.

Ok, I think I may have addressed the issues.

Some of the benefits:

*It is eco-friendly. You will dramatically cut down on waste.
*It is  healthier. The Mooncup is made from soft medical grade silicone and is latex-free, hypoallergenic and contains no dyes, BPA, phthalates, plastic, bleaches or toxins.
Because the Mooncup is non-absorbent, it will not cause dryness and does not disrupt your body’s natural pH levels (35% of the fluid tampons absorb is natural moisture!).
*It is  convenient. The Mooncup holds at least three times as much fluid as the most super-absorbent tampon, giving longer lasting protection on heavier days. And, because it is non-absorbent, it won’t cause dryness when your period is light.
*It is cheaper. The Mooncup will last for years.

Here is what the box looks like.



This shows you how it is to be folded. I will also say, it took one good cycle before it went unnoticed by me. The stick you see at the bottom is the string of your cup. You use that to pull down on. I take the baby wipe and use that to gain some leverage and also so I don't feel dirty. The stick can stick down further than you would like. That was very uncomfortable for me at first, but then I realized I didn't have it in just exactly right. It can take some getting used to. That stick can be trimmed though with some scissors, just not completely cut off.




Here is what it looks like out of the package. I think it holds 2oz. Not completely sure though.


On the website, there is a place with sizing and a way to help you determine size.




This cute little bag comes with it for holding until the next month. You can also keep this in your purse in case it happens while you are out. No one knows what it is and you don't need to bring anything along while you are on your period (except perhaps baby wipes).

In between cycles, you boil the Mooncup to sanitize it and clean it before you store it. Leave it in the boiling water approximately 10 minutes.

Now.... onto the next thing.

I have dyed my hair. All by myself. This was a first and perhaps a last. My husband hates it! I have actually grown to like it. It is different and dramatic-- 2 things I was going for!

Here I am after I applied it all. I was a bit nervous to see the finished hair!

I choose black because.... I wanted different and dramatic.




Here is the finished product.


Before you all start saying how great it looks to try and make me feel nice, I have been told, "It looks way worse in person!" So.... just wait until you see me face to face. Perhaps, by then, it will have faded some. LOL.

I was going to go to a professional and pay whatever I had to to get it fixed (words of my hubby), but then I decided, what the heck. I think I'll leave it! I like it! Who cares if someone else doesn't.

Well, I do believe it is time to start getting ready for Bible Study. I have to fix lunches for the boys so they can go finish painting. I cannot wait to post before and after pics of my house on here. I mean true after pics. New baseboards up, new interior doors, new light fixtures, new appliances, new counters, new fireplace, etc. It is close and I am excited!!!!

See you soon!

BTW, Dane is practically 100% better. The chiropractor said on Monday, his neck lymph nodes are almost completely back to normal and his knot under his arm is gone! The spots in his eyes are still there, but Dr. Ledford said they can take months to leave completely. We now go every 2 weeks instead of every week. Thank you for your prayers. I am pleased to say, they have worked!!! :-) God is so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment