Wednesday, August 10, 2011

I'm Free

I'M FREE, PRAISE THE LO-RD,
I'M FREE
NO LONGER BOUND,
NO MORE CHAINS HOLDING ME
MY SOUL IS RESTING
IT'S SUCH A BLESSING
PRAISE THE LORD
HALELUJAH, I'M FREE!

Ok.... so maybe the gospel song is talking about something different than I am, but it's what I sang the whole way home this morning. Praise the Lord! I am free! I am finished with my 5 week summer course. I was wondering these last few days how I was going to manage it though. I had not only stayed on schedule these 5 weeks but I worked ahead, planning ahead with the intent of being finished with my school on Saturday so that I could study until Wednesday (which was also the day I was taking my final). The way the quarter was lined up, I wouldn't be finished with my assignments until Tuesday and would be taking the final the next morning. So, I was very proud of myself for staying ahead. Now I am just thanking God I had that plan.

As most of you know, while breast-feeding I am very prone to mastitis. Mastitis is an infection of the breast tissue. The symptoms are: breast enlargement on one side only, breast lump, breast pain, fever and flu-like symptoms including nausea and vomiting. Swelling, tenderness, redness, and warmth in the breast tissue. And tenderness or enlarged lymph nodes in the armpit of the same side. For a more detailed description of mastitis, Click here. I am a pro at knowing it is coming and I am a pro at treating it naturally. I usually catch it in time before I have it bad. Well, Saturday I felt the tenderness and my body just didn't feel normal. I rested all day and treated my infection naturally (REST, drinking lots of water, nursing on the infected breast, vitamin C, heat compresses before nursing and ice after, hot showers, and massage of the lumps). I did as much school as I could handle. I didn't have a fever yet so I thought I had caught it. Sunday I still didn't feel great, but we have missed 2 weeks at our church (because we have been at my in-laws church) and I really wanted to be at ours. I still felt very tender but that is normal the day after. I went to SS and am church service, came home and worked on school all afternoon instead of napping (which my body was demanding!) and then went to the pm service. Sunday night, I knew without a doubt I had it full fledged. From Sunday night to Tuesday afternoon I was useless. I ran a fever of 102+ and was sick as a dog. I didn't know what I would do if Wednesday rolled around and I still felt like that. I completed the rest of my assignments Tuesday morning and studied for my final Wednesday morning before heading to the campus to take my timed final. I can say that I do feel better today, I'm just not 100% back to normal. My breast is soooo tender and I still feel blah. I know from past infections and especially this one, to REST. That is the key. So, that is what I am doing today. No church tonight for us. I hate not being in God's house but I know without a doubt if I had stayed home Sunday, I would have been over it for good. I am so mad at myself for not listening to my body. Seriously, I have never had an infection last as long as this one. I can usually knock it out within 24 hours, 48 hours at the most. If you are a nursing mother and you have never experienced mastitis, consider yourself BLESSED! I develop mastitis when I am overly stressed or overly tired. With Dane, I had it nearly 35 times. With Webb, I have been so blessed and only had it 4 times, with this last time being my 4th. This infection and the one before it were both very intense and hard on my body. The one before I almost had Brent take me to the ER (which you all must know I was dying. LOL). My breast was HUGE with big, massive lumps going all the way around. I could not even get my arm down next to my body. Nursing is a key to healing and I couldn't even stand to let Webb near my breast. This time was not near as bad, just the length was hard. I mean, FOUR days of resting!!!!!! Who can handle that. Not me, that's for sure. Especially with 2 boys and the end of school weighing on me. Yesterday, Brent looked at me and said, "After these last 2 times, if I were you, I'd be weaning Webb" and I just smiled and said, "That's the difference between a mother and a father". I didn't mean that in an ugly way, but it's true. A mother's love will push us to experience pain and go the extra mile. It will keep us up all night rocking a crying baby. When I know my baby needs something or will benefit from it, I will do everything in my power to see that he gets it. Breast-feeding is in my power. I can't think of one plus to me weaning Webb (other than no more mastitis) and I can think of more +'s than would fit on one hand to the benefits to me continuing to breast-feed. And for all you well meaning folks out there who wonder just when I will be weaning???? Let's just say, I always aim to wean by kindergarten and look.... it worked with Dane :D There.... now you will all be wondering.

Now that I am finished with school, I have a couple of posts on my mind. 2 subjects that are dear to me. One will be the subject of body image. It is something I am opinionated about and so many young and old girls struggle with this. I also want to address what made me chose a natural lifestyle for me and my family--home births, no medication, no vaccination, etc. aspect.

Also, a VERY BIG thanks to all the sweet and thoughtful people who text me, private messaged me, and checked up on me! You guys rock and made me feel so loved and cared about. And especially a big thank you to my mom who took the kids Monday (my worst day!!) so I could rest and heal, and my hubby who stayed home yesterday from work so I could continue to heal and finish my school.


No comments:

Post a Comment